Friday, December 23, 2011

Kimberly Packard Walton: I Saw Santa Claus


Kimberly Packard Walton is Vice-President for Greater Fort Worth Writers. She writes as Kimberly Packard, has completed two books and is in the submission process with agents.
In her day job, Kimberly is Vice President of Communications at North Texas Commission and specializes in media relations, branding and strategic planning, crisis communications, message development, program development and pretty much anything else that gets tossed her way.
Friend her on Facebook/Kimberly Packard Walton.

If you love Christmas, can you say why?

No matter what kind of stress I’m under at the holidays there is something magical that transports me back to my childhood when my only stress was over which Barbie Santa would bring me.

What’s one thing you’d like to get rid of during the holiday season?
The stress people place on themselves to give the perfect gift. Sometimes, the perfect gift is something small that means so much to the recipient.

What are your favorite childhood memories of Christmas?
I swear on a stack of Christmas Story DVDs that I saw Santa once in my family room when I was 6 or 7. I snuck in to see what was under the tree, saw his shadow and ran back to my room. Needless to say that sorta freaked my parents out by how emphatic I was that it really happened.

What’s your idea of a perfect Christmas meal?
One I don’t have to cook (two years ago my husband came down with the flu on Christmas Eve and I was stuck cooking dinner for his family and mine. Thank goodness for Bloody Marys on Christmas morning).

Do you have a dish that has become a tradition with your family?
I’ve adopted my husband’s family tradition of baked oysters for Christmas Eve.

What’s the best Christmas present you ever received?
I’m going to sound nerdy and domesticated, but curtains for the family room. The ones that came with the house were too short, terry-cloth and faded red, but we have so many windows that it was going to cost and arm and a leg to replace them. Our parents came together to get us curtains that I love.

What’s the best Christmas present you ever gave?
I love to give books at Christmas. Selfish, I know.

What are your favorite Christmas movies?
A Christmas Story and A Charlie Brown Christmas

What’s your favorite Christmas carol?
I always crank up the radio when The Waitresses’ “Christmas Wrapping” comes on. It must be me growing up in the MTV generation.


What’s your idea of a perfect holiday season?
No stress, the tree and decorations put up with minimal bickering, a fire, snow, no one coming down with the flu and a glass of frangelico in one hand.

Recipe:
Kimberly says she doesn't have the recipe for baked oysters, so we've offered some.

Scalloped Oysters

1 pint shucked oysters with 1/4 cup liquor from oysters reserved
2 cups cracker crumbs(use oyster crackers or saltines)
1/2 cup melted butter
3/4 C. half and half
1/4 tsp salt, mace or nutmeg
Pinch of pepper
Dash of tobasco (just a few drops)
1/4 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
 Drain oysters but keep 1/4 c liquor.  Mix all crumbs with melted butter. Spread 1/2 of this mix in a 8 x 1/2" pan or casserole. Cover with half of the oysters. Sprinkle with a dash of pepper, mace, or nutmeg. Combine half and half with remaining oysters, liquor, salt, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over first layer of oysters and top with cracker crumbs.   Bake 40 min in 375 degree oven. Serves 4-6.


Angels on Horseback
1 dozen oysters
1/2 c. dry white wine
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and ground black pepper
6 slices lean bacon, halved
Marinate oysters in garlic, wine, salt and pepper for about 15 minutes. Heat up your grill or turn on your oven to broil.Wrap each oyster with a piece of bacon and secure with a tooth pick. Grill about 6" from heat source. Turn once and cook until bacon is crispy.
                                                                                             ~~~~~

3 comments:

J. A. Bennett said...

I love to give books for Christmas too :) I prefer to call it inspired! Plus its always a treat when I find the few extra's someone slipped in (whoops!) and look at that, I had been wanting to read those ;P

SusieSheehey said...

Thanks for sharing Kim! Honestly, I've never heard of baked Oysters for Christmas, but maybe they're popular in the NE.
Have a great Christmas!!!

thorneanderson@hotmail.com said...

Interesting experience with Santa Claus. Your recipe looks fantastic. Can't wait to try it.

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...