Friday, December 7, 2012

Battle of the Book Formats


Oh, how the battle thickens… it’s no longer a question between paperback orbookbattlehardback. It’s even evolved past physical book or e-book. Oh no, my friends. It’s become so much more complicated.
You can’t just choose ‘e-book’ anymore. Now you must choose which format of technology to read these precious stories.
Kindle
Nook
Mobile (iPhone or Android)
Laptop
Tablet
Kobo

The choices expand every month. Forty years ago, you still had options of which material you wanted your book printed on, but imagine…  what if not just paper, but perhaps cotton, leather, wood, chocolate (oh yes!), or stone (try balancingthat on your head).
battling_booksAnd the battle continues, with additional, equal amounts of confusion and choices.
Which do you prefer: physical books or e-books?
If you prefer physical, the main choices are hardback or paperback.
If you prefer e-book, which format do you use most?
Personally, I’m still 70% physical books. I love the feel of the paper in my hands, turning the pages between my fingers, and more importantly the smell. There’s not many things in the world better than that new book smell.
The remaining 30% I go back and forth between iPad and my iPhone. Yes, I started reading books on my phone. A concept so foreign to me only 6 months ago. I have evolved (a bit), just as publishing is still evolving.
Just in time for me to purchase my first pair of reading glasses, which I’m sure isbaby_w-glassesjust around the corner for me.

Susie Sheehey is president of GFW Writers. She is a full-time writer and has two completed novels of romantic suspense which she is shopping around.Her leadership reflects her previous background  in Medical Product Distribution. She lives in Keller, Texas with her husband and 4 year old son.


2 comments:

Ruby Johnson said...

A year ago, I still liked to hold the book in my hands, and I still have them, but a kindle or nook is so easy to take with me. However, it's like an addiction because of the instant gratification of ordering and getting a book immediately. One thing I prefer to have on a shelf over the e-book is the hard copy of reference books.

MattB said...

I agree with Ruby on this one. Something about the smell/feel of a book will always call to me, but I LOVE instant ordering. I've been hard pressed this past month researching the best fit for a 7 year old who quite possibly reads more than I do!

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...